Monday, June 4, 2018

Why I Prioritize A Clean Home Over Playing with My Kids



Before kids, it was easy to keep house. I had way more time to accomplish everything than I needed, most of the time, and even with chronic health issues, I managed to get dishes done, the bed made, and the living room vacuumed. After my first child came, it got a little harder. When the second came along, it got a little more difficult. Then we embraced minimalism, and although that didn't eliminate the need to clean up, it did make things easy again.

But there were times when I noticed my husband seemed a little less relaxed when he got home. He didn't complain, but I could tell that when he came home and things were messy, it added stress to his life. Coming home wasn't a time to let loose and relax - he felt a need to clean up!

I tried to excuse the messy house by saying: "at least I was spending time with the kids. They're pretty important, right?" But even as I said it, it didn't feel right. I was home all day with the kids. And when my husband came home from work, the last thing I should expect from him was to jump right back into work by cleaning house. Everyone tells you that cleaning up isn't as important as spending time with your kids, because life is short. They won't always be this age... Right?

As much as the idea appealed to me, I still didn't feel it was the correct response. The basic problem was that although my children wouldn't be this age forever, they didn't need to be "enjoyed" 24-7. They also would not be the person I would live with the rest of my life - that was their daddy, and he was a priority above them.

So I had to make an attitude adjustment and a few life adjustments. Yes, I still spend time with my children. Yes, I still enjoy them and take pleasure in seeing the stages of life as they go through them. But around 5PM, I focus on supper and preparing the home for my husband to arrive. To see him walk in the door to a clean home and warm supper, watch the weariness of the day being left at the door, that is a wonderful blessing. And my kids don't mind when he's in a better mood, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment